Phlebotomist, Lab Technician, Lab in charge, Sr. Lab. Tech. Technologist and junior scientific officer.
Scope/ Area of work:
Medical Laboratory technologist examine and analyze body fluids, tissues, blood typing, microorganisms, screening, chemical analyses, cell counts etc. of the human body. They play an important role in collecting the information needed for treating most pathology cases by sampling testing, analyzing and reporting such investigations.
- Decisions concerning sample collection and handling
- Daily instrument maintenance and quality control
- Sample testing
- Collection and interpretation of data
- Maintenance of accurate records and reporting of data
- Knowledge of critical values.
The tests that lab techs conduct assist doctors in verifying the causes of an illness, making medical decisions and determining treatment options. Some of the areas in which medical lab technicians may specialize include:
Area of Specialization:
- Blood banking
- Clinical chemistry
- Molecular biology