Possible Designations -
OT Assistant/ OT Technician
Career Progression -
OT Technician → Senior OT Technician → OT In charge → Department manager/Floor Manager
Scope/ Area of work -
Sterilizing/ cleaning all instruments in the OT and maintaining utmost hygiene in the OT. Assisting the Doctor/Surgeon in all equipment required for Surgery before, during and after the Surgery.
Duties of an operation theatre technician -
- preparing the operating room.
- making sure all necessary supplies and surgical tools are sterile and ready.
- Keeping track of all items used during surgery to make sure nothing gets misplaced.
- providing other assistance during the operation.
- delivering the patient to recovery.
- cleaning up the operating room after surgery
An OT Technician assists the surgeon and the anaesthetist during an operation. They also prepare operation theatre and maintain the OT equipments for surgery. Some other job responsibilities includes preparing OT for surgery, set up, checking and maintaining of equipments, preparation of patient for surgery, assistance to surgeon and anaesthetist with arranging OT equipments, managing supplies and patient’s position required as per the surgery and procedure.